Saturday, July 5, 2014

Social Media Rules

Our jobs as parents include keeping our kids safe. If you friend or message my daughter, please respect the boundaries and realize its only ok (for this family) for an adult to friend a kid when you're also friends with at least one of the parents.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

First it was my mother in law.  She was sending her messages like crazy, after defriending me and hubs when she got mad at hubs.

Several random strangers try, but babygirl knows better than to let that happen and she blocks them and immediately tells us about it.

Now my SIL messaged kiddo several times to wish her a happy birthday and have conversations.  The same SIL that will not friend us because of whatever reason.

I blocked her from kiddo's page and she sent me a message asking why.

I told her it's our family rule and an attachment practice and that we don't allow her to communicate with adults unless it's somebody that communicates with us.  Her response: Whatever, your call, I only didn't friend you because of your hubs. Ummm, yeah, whatever!! 

I'll just leave that alone.

So, yes, I realize 2 of the ones mentioned are family.  Am I crazy for thinking they still shouldn't be communicating with her without our knowledge and that we come as a package deal?

If you're vindictive enough to write off family for silly stupid things, why would I trust you with my daughter? why would I assume you're communication will continue to be innocent? I know the path this can go down.

I don't need our child thinking it's normal to write off family. She's been rejected enough in her lifetime.  She needs to know that's not okay in our book.

eta: I ended up telling her I don't need our child thinking it's normal to write off family. She's been rejected enough in her lifetime.  She needs to know that's not okay in our book. When I said that a little while later, she responded that she understood and that I'm a good mother and she always knew I would be.  I hope she does and even more, I hope she can explain this to her mother, who doesn't get it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment